October 19, 2019, 05:00:20 pm

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

BST General Discussion

Started by Crank, May 26, 2019, 01:03:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Crank

And I think this is the last thread we need?  I may move this later, but right now, I'd rather have more BSTs than stickied threads in the section.  So, anyone want to fight, or should I fire some PMs?

Piston1937

I definitely want to fight after i get tinks demo done. I'm wondering if I should rewrite jack and make his place like a sort of back alley hospital for the list of places.  Might not be a bad idea if we are going to have criminal bloods.
I am Piston.  No I haven't been Pissed-on.  Yes you won't like me when I'm Pist-off. And yes I am the all knowing god of all things.

Frest

I noticed that a lot of us have "get something out of nothing" abilities. Maybe it should be an important type of magic in this world XD
Ska-whammy

Piston1937

The writers bag is an acceptable writing tool.  And a very useful one.

Of course most will use it.
I am Piston.  No I haven't been Pissed-on.  Yes you won't like me when I'm Pist-off. And yes I am the all knowing god of all things.

Graecus

I mostly consider it an extremely convenient tool that just so happens to find us.

FurrySlime

May 30, 2019, 05:15:57 pm #5 Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 05:17:32 pm by FurrySlime
Maybe it's only me, but I try to avoid using/creating characters that are "toolbox-y". When I say toolboxy, I mean like:

A Spoiler Filled With Ancient Wisdom
Quote from: Richard LongflopThe Toolbox Effect. Wonder what that is? Well, I'll tell you.

Imagine a toolbox. Bear with me here. No- put the giant paws away, I mean the other kind of bare. Yeah.

A toolbox. A metal box holding a bunch of different tools. Various screwdrivers, a saw maybe. Sandpaper. Glue gun. Allen keys. That sorta thing. When you come across something that needs tooling, you just reach in, grab the perfect tool made for it, and tool that sonuvabitch. Your toolbox lets you tool anything.

And then there's multitools. A swiss army knife. Holds a flat screwdriver head, some knives, corkscrew, etc. Now, it's not as full as a toolbox, but it's neat, it's classy and it's a single tool, not multiple tools for separate individual things. It's one thing you can use that covers the ground of many things, but not all things.

You may have caught on to what I'm talking about. If not, now's the time for me to break subtlety. Character powers.

If your character has five different powers then something's wrong. You've read my Primary, Secondary and Physical power part, haven't you? It's up there. Above this one. Well, some people like to give their characters more than one primary power. They like to have powers that cover all things, or near enough all. They're toolboxes. They're a mess, a clutter of powers just thrown together with some weak structure that could only stand up in that writer's mind, where physics don't apply and the points don't matter.

Thing is about fighting a toolbox is that it's gonna suck. You think you have the upper hand? Nope, turns out they have a thing for that too. Honestly, the biggest excuse for this sort of thing is "omg it's ok since they'll not write it all and they'll limit it for entertainment lol" no no no no no leave get out close the door and go into a door store and close all THOSE doors and then go into a glassware shop and smash all the jars since I want you to make sure nothing is a jar when you shut your goddamn doors and goddamn LEAVE ALREADY. I'm talking about characters. I'm talking about what people see when they read them. Using them is different. I'm about character potential here.

It's not fun to fight against someone who has the potential to cover all ground. Sure, they might have weaknesses (or only limits if you're wanting to be a TRUE tool) but they're gonna have to dodge around all your tools to get there and it's gonna be tedious and unfun.

But. A multitool. Ahaha, I love it. If you have a bunch of stuff to deal with individual things, you lose creativity. You may create the illusion of it but really, no. Having something that you can bend and contort and can cover a range of things by itself is great. Having a secondary ability to further enhance that is great too. But remember, even if a swiss army knife is a multitool, it can't have all tools. It covers a good area, but still leaves plenty of room. And the fun is, sometimes, you fiddle around a bit and you dig your nail in and find a tool in there that you had no clue about.

Examples! A toolbox power would be a magic wand with a list of 20-odd spells. A multi-tool power would be a dagger that could cut through anything. The wand can have a spell for most situations, if not all, but the dagger is a tool that can be used to do many things. Unlock doors, disarm weapons, attack, it can depend on whatever situation you're in!

Oh, and note about multi-tools. If you're going to have a power like "guy can generate material he can mold into anything he wants and make it as hard as steel" then you're pretty much doing this with a multitool. Come on, man. At least balance that shit heavily.

See, toolboxes lack creativity and can cover most possible applications. Multitools inspire creativity and cover a good portion of applications. And that is the Toolbox Effect.
[close]

To sum up, the reason why I wasn't more original with Tink was because I was overwhelmed by the amount of stuff the little engineer can create. :P

a silly conversation
Quote from: Samael"Ha, HA! I'm gonna kick your butt, Tink!"
Quote from: Tink"Whoopie-cushion-car-seat-ragged-pillowcase-of-SCIENCE!"

POOF!

Quote from: Samael"Okay, so that was miserable fail. Then, I'm going to punch your face...IN THE FACE!"
Quote from: Tink"Motorcycle-helmet-frying-pan-tin-can-foil-armor-cap-of-SCIENCE"

PING!

Quote from: Samael"RRRGH! Well, you know what? I'm tired of your meddling and will teach you a lesson! Prepare for your instant...wait, no. You probably have a tool for this, too, so I'm screwed anyway."
Quote from: Tink"Lawnmower-engine-car-battery-powered-ice-fishing-drill-of-SCIENCE!"

WHIRR!

Quote from: Samael"Get away from me you freak!"
[close]
"My fur can slime, but my slime can't fur...if you know what I mean."

Piston1937

Quite true.  That doesn't mean tink has to be a toolbox.  The bag is a writers tool just give tink the wrong stuff.  Though i do see your point.  How can I change him to be less toolboxy?

FurrySlime

Maybe you can limit his creations so that they fit in a certain category? Like...he has one type of trap, one type of melee weapon, and one type of shield. Every time he takes out junk, he tapes it up to make it one of these three items. The ingredients could slightly change the item's function (e.g. battery makes trap go zap, lightbulb makes trap go boom with glass etc.).

Does that help a bit?

That one guy from earlier

If I'm being honest, there isn't anything particularly wrong with Tink in my opinion. Sometimes, its fun to write against someone who you can make as dangerous or mundane as you want.

Piston1937

I think I'll leave Tink as he is.  It's up to the writer to make him as powerful or as nerfed as they want. Also I'll start Tinks Tinkering Collection. Where i list every single weapon Tink has made ever.  This won't include structures. 

FurrySlime

A list of his inventions sounds good to me. Go for it!

Frest

Now that Jump is in the BST, anyone wanna do an exploit?
Ska-whammy

FurrySlime

For all you forum phantoms out there, I removed Samael because he was too complicated. I'll still complete the battle between him and Jump, and add that to the Tales of Light and Shadow.

I'll replace him with a gladiator pair that are much simpler for me to write with.

That one guy from earlier

I wish you luck with your new pair.

Crank

Heh, I was wondering where the post went.  Good luck with both things!